Hussein A. Amery
Division Director and Professor, Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences
Dr. Hussein A. Amery is the Director of the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences Division (HASS) at Colorado School of Mines. Dr Amery had also served as Associate Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Studies and Faculty. His academic expertise is in water and food security in the Middle East, with a focus on the Arab Gulf states. He also specializes in Islamic perspectives on water management, and in trans-boundary water politics especially along the Litani, Jordan, Tigris and Euphrates rivers. He recently published a book titled Arab Water Security: Threats and Opportunities in the Gulf States (Cambridge University Press, 2015). His earlier book is called Water in the Middle East: A Geography of Peace (Texas University Press; With A. T. Wolf). His academic contributions were recognized by his selection (2005) as Fellow by the International Water Resources Association. Dr Amery had been a consultant to US government agencies, International Development and Research Center (Canada), and to American water engineering firms.
- H.A. Amery (2015) Arab Water Security: Threats and Opportunities in the Gulf States (Cambridge University Press)
- H.A. Amery and A. T. Wolf (2000). Water in the Middle East: A Geography of Peace (Texas University Press)
Papers & Book Chapters
- Amery, H.(Accepted & forthcoming). Threats to Water Security in the Arab Gulf. In, Global Water Crisis. Gerard Magill (ed). Cambridge Scholars, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom.
- Amery, H. (Accepted & forthcoming). Food Security in the Middle East. In, Routledge Handbook on Middle East Security. Jägerskog, Andres, Michael Schulz and Ashok Swain (Eds.). Routledge, London.
- Amery, H. and C. Boyes. 2017. Impacts of Drought on Social and Agricultural Systems. In, Handbook of Drought and Water Scarcity: Management of Drought and Water. CRC, Taylor and Francis Group Cochrane,
- Logan and H. A. Amery. 2017. Gulf Cooperation Council Countries and the Global Land Grab. The Arab World Geographer. 20, no 1, pp. 17-41.
- Amery, H. and Marwan Haddad. 2015. Ethical and Cultural Dimensions of Water Reuse: Islamic Perspectives. In Saeid Eslamian (Ed.). Urban Water Reuse Handbook. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Amery, H. and F. Obaidi. 2014. “Water”, in Ethics, Science, Technology, and Engineering: An International Resource, 2nd edition. New York: Macmillan Reference. Carl Mitcham as Editor-in-Chief.
- Amery, H. 2012. Water Security for Kuwait: Assessing the feasibility of water imports from Iran. International Journal for Hydrology Science and Technology (IJHST). 2(3): 292-305.
- Amery, H. A. 2009. Environment: Water and Pollution: Arab States, in: Encyclopedia of Women & Islamic Cultures, General Editor Suad Joseph. BRILL: Leiden, The Netherlands.
- Amery, H. 2002. Water Wars in the Middle East: A Looming Threat. GeoJournal. 168(1), pp.1-11.
- Amery, H. 2001. Islamic Water Management. Water International. 26(4): p.1-9. Amery, H. 1998. The Role of Water Resources in the Evolution of the Lebanon Palestine Border. GeoJournal. January, 44: 19-33.
- Amery, H. 1993. The Litani River of Lebanon. Geographical Review July, 83(3): 229237.
- HASS 339 Middle East: Politics & Society
- HASS 439/HASS 539 Middle East Development
- HASS 460/HASS 560 Geopolitics of Natural Resources
- HASS 488/HASS 588 Global Water Politics and Policy